Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A morning at hop frog pond in the Oregon Dunes
















The other day Jake went into the dunes with friends, just exploring, hiking & having an airsoft war. He happend to stumble across a small pond hidden in the dunes, where thousands of small frogs are living. He knew this would be a hit for his brothers. A few days later Jake lead the whole family for a treacherous walk through the dunes looking for this secret pond. Sure enough when we arrived it became another Happy Day for Spencer and Ruben. Frogs just bring out the best in the boys. I decided to call it Hop Frog pond after Maurice Sendack's Little Bear movie. The frogs looked like grasshoppers in the grass, when you took a step you could see about 50 of them scatter in all directions. I had to be careful not to step on them. They caught at least 20 frogs, and then released them when it was time to make our way out of the dunes. I think the thought of this place is one of Spencer's "happy thoughts", a place he goes to when trying to fall asleep at night.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. When I come visit you next summer, will you take me and my boys there? I love frogs. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete